Saturday, February 15, 2014

Recap from Last Semester

Sure grad school can be insanely busy, but it also can be a lot of fun! Not in any particular order, here is a brief review of last semester's highlights.
 
 Someone left us pie! It had a note but we never found out who it was. 

 I had the great fortune of going home for Halloween, Thanksgiving, AND Christmas this year. Heather went through the temple for the first time near Halloween so of course I had to be there, and with the rest of the holidays, well, I couldn't miss another opportunity to see these gorgeous ladies.

 I love my family!!
 Happy Halloween!
 The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Annual Walk (about 3 miles)
So proud of her! She went through the temple!
 Captain Micheal's Pirate Crew! (Sporting some new shirts this year)
Love my Grandpa Hakes!
It was great but I spent WAY too much time balancing schedules and spending time on the road. Not going to be doing that again for a while. Luckily all my rides worked out though. For not having access to a car this semester I have been truly blessed.  
 Made los alfajores from my mission a few times. They are always a huge success! Ruth was also in town so i enjoyed spending time with her for a semester.
 
General Conference!!
 Ruth came home with me for Christmas again! Love that girl! I'm gonna miss her. She headed up to Rexburg after completing her internship in Provo.
 This year we coded all the presents by nicknames. Ruth became "Our Little Lamanite" She laughed so hard! 
 Ruth helped my mom figure out how to decorate the stake bulletin board. It turned out perfect!

 I got to go see the SLC temple lights with Jenica, Ashley, Kaylie, and what's her name....They are some great girls from my ward. It was beautiful! We all left happy but with frozen feet. A quick stop to pick up some hot chocolate remedied that situation.

I have always wanted to skype with la Familia Nunez, they are definitely one of my favorite families from when i was serving and LDS mission in Argentina. So I arranged with a neighboring family (la Familia Gil) for a date and a time when we would surprise them! It was well worth it! I love them so much! Thank you Familia Gil!
This family has gone through many ups and downs but has always stayed strong in the gospel since their conversion. They surprised me by going to the temple a few months earlier than they had originally planned. Wanting to be there (but not having any extra money), I promised them that I would go to the temple here in Provo at the same time of their sealing, so that we could be in the house of the Lord together. Because I am behind Argentina by 4 hours, I had wake up before dawn and walk the 40 minutes walk in order to be their on time. It was well worth it! Congratulations Familia Nunez! Les quiero un monton!

(Flashback to when we were together)

For our department's opening social they rented out the BYU Lodge just up the canyon for dinner and games. To add to the merriment they arranged a hike to the waterfalls nearby, however, it started to rain. Amber and I were the only students who showed up for the hike and were soaked by the time we got back to the lodge for dinner! Great night with our fellow grad students and professors. 

 Attended my first BYU football game with Jackson Deere. His friend Mike who is also in our ward, had great connections to the presidential box seats. We got great seats, free food, and free tickets! It was an awesome date.
 Plus, we won against Boise State! Whoot Whoot!
I even got to go to the BYU basketball game with some ladies from our ward! I love all the friends I've been making!




 I love my mission president and his wife! Fortunately, the Peterson's live fairly close (about an hour away) so i was able to see them at our mission reunion. We even arranged for a group of us returned missionaries to surprise her on her birthday over at their house! I love them and continue to learn from their wonderful example.

No comments:

Post a Comment